Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sigh of Relief

Most of my work is done. I have a final portrait and 10 small portraits to finish by Monday and a couple of small finals for Tuesday and Wednesday. Freedom, you taste like fresh strawberries.

I just spent my afternoon watching a corny Lifetime movie and sobbing like a child. What is wrong with me?! I used to have emotions of steel. I'm getting soft in my old age.

I've spent a lot of time lately reminiscing about my teenage years. Actually, less reminiscing, more remembering with horror. 12-19 was an awkward stage in my life. Very awkward. There are some good memories though. I was so idealistic about life and career. I still am to a degree but this was different. I pictured myself becoming an astronaut or an astronomer. Not real life ones, movie ones. In my dreams I conquered the world with my genius and shot aliens with guns strapped to my legs. Angelina Jolie style.

Now that I think about it, maybe I set myself up for failure with the whole physics major thing.

Anyway, what started the memories was the all-nighter that ended up being more of an all-to-4-am-er. I was listening to Dvořák on Last.fm just to keep myself awake. When I was a pre-teen I would sit in my piano teacher's sitting room and listen to her CDs on headphones. My favorite was "Humoresque No. 7". Sigh, the man was a genius. That song invariably brings back memories of oatmeal cookies, rain and tomato soup. All of which sound good right now. Too bad it's 100 degrees outside. California! Why can't you be more like your brother, Washington? Huh?

No comments: