Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Foiled.

I walked into Borders the other day. Sometimes when I need an art inspiration super charge, I'll go to the artish magazine section and glean ideas from my contemporaries. On this particular day, even as I was walking to the entrance, I noticed something was different. You see, Princess Leia, Darth Vader and some sort of Imperial soldier were all standing there. Nonchalantly. As if Borders was of course where they hang out on Sundays. How dare you think otherwise.

I dare.

I would like to take this moment to address a rather potent fear of mine: faceless, costumed people. For me, Halloween is just about hell on earth. But at least it's a specified day. I can prepare myself. But random acts of costumage in public places? No deal. Luckily my mommy was there, the better to sheild me against their horrible blank stares.

We managed to sneak past them as they were distracted by a 6 year old who wanted a picture only to find 2 more Imperial soldiers and a Death Star Trooper, roaming the aisles. Whatever creative juices I had come to foster were immediately replaced by pure, unbridled terror. Needless to say, we didn't stay there long.

Once I put some distance between them and me, I felt kind of sad that I had neither a camera nor dignity. Because, let's just be honest: best Facebook picture ever.

Then, to rub salt in my wounds, I looked up their organization when I got home and found out they do charity work and marathons and hold babies and things. Dangit.

No comments: