Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A True Story

Picture this: a crowded grocery store. People merrily shopping for their various Christmas parties and other related functions. Employees smiling and offering assistance. Suddenly, there's a commotion by the checkout lines. A woman with an exasperated look on her face struggles to get in line, dragging one foot behind her. Hmm, curious. You hear a whining sound coming from the general direction of the gimpy foot. You realize no, it is not a genetic defect, no club foot, no broken toes, it's a child. She is latched so firmly to her mother's ankle no amount of hurricane force winds will detach her. She is crying about something. Something about not getting a toy or a snack. You look back up to the mother's face and realize she's not going to stop walking. She's not going to discipline her daughter, she's just going to keep mopping the floor with her offspring and hope no one notices. That look of exasperation on her face? There's something more behind it. Resignation. It's not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last.

It seems like just a small thing, just let her do it, the floors will be so shiny! But, when did this become acceptable? When did parents become afraid of their children? I'm not saying bully them, but some good healthy discipline never hurt, actually, the opposite is true. I never thought I'd say this but I'm glad I had a mother who wasn't afraid to punish me when I did something wrong. She wasn't just empty threats, she followed through. She did it because she loved me and always let me know it. So uh, thanks Mom.

Sorry about the heavy post. I just had to get that off my chest.

1 comment:

the drifter... said...

I agree with you. Children don't necessarily have to be spanked, but they need boundaries and and they need to be disciplined.

I know, you say your post was heavy. It was also wildly entertaining.

let's start a daycare. together, we will save the world, one disciplined child at a time.