Friday, August 14, 2009

Julie & Julia, or, The Life of Ashely the Artist

Tonight, for her birthday I went with my good friend Laura to see "Julie & Julia". I am inspired. We loved it. The movie was totally adorable, Meryl Streep is my new favorite actress and Julia Child is my new favorite cook (move over, Gordon Ramsay, you old coot). I completely identified with the movie version of Julie the blogger. I think we share a lot in common. We both started out as frustrated 20-somethings, created a blog, and besides a great body we do not both share (I'll let you decide who has the better), both made strides towards a goal. Where she has already reached hers, I am still searching for mine. It's okay. I am comfortable in my slightly ambiguous personal and professional life and my meager audience in the the blog-o-sphere. I'm...not jealous. My blog, instead of being a short-term journey to finish a cookbook and find oneself in the process, is more of the life's journey of someone who already knows who she is but just needs to find where she fits.

But back to the movie. Can I just say the relationship between Julia and her husband as portrayed by the movie was so endearing and sweet. I wanted to cry on several occasions and would have done so had I not been surrounded by a packed movie theater and one particularly bad breathed man sitting behind us. Poor guy.

In a nutshell, go see the movie. It's worth your $10.50. The only thing we didn't like was towards the end and fairly easy to explain away. I won't tell you what it is in case it doesn't bother you. I don't want to ruin it.

Meryl Streep will win an award for this movie. If she doesn't, I'll sue.

Oh, and just to keep this thing art-themed, here:



Bon appetit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!! It was a great movie!

Laura

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love this painting! sketch? what materials did you use? It's so dark and kind of depressing, but the white shirt brightens it up. lovely!